Tuesday, June 24, 2008

spaceball


spaceball or what, originally uploaded by guckstdu.

Today at work I had to put together a large number of photos of bike parking facilities as part of a precedent study that we're beginning. So naturally I turned to flickr to find some images. However my attempts to drag the images into a folder were thwarted with the annoying "spaceball.gif." What is "spaceball?" I really didn't check, but I'm fairly certain that it's a 1x1 fully transparent image that is stretched over the protected image on a CSS layer that sits on top. (If anyone wants to correct me on this, feel free). Anyway, I looked into the page's source file and was able to get the urls for the images, but that was slow and tedious until I got the idea to simply add the url for spaceball.gif to my adblocker plugin. Once I did this, I was able to drag and drop any image from flickr with no problems.

The url to block the spaceball is here: http://l.yimg.com/g/images/spaceball.gif

Also, in all my flickr journies I've found that I really do not like HDR, digital B&W photos, and stupid "BESTEST FLICKR FOTOS EVAR!!1!!1ONE!" type groups. Please avoid them. For everyone's sake

3 comments:

Connie Jaio Wong said...

thank you for the url to block the spaceball overlay! it works great! Lifesaver!

Really like your layout and graphic design of this page.

cheesebubble said...

A good article on how to circumvent flickr's "spaceball" photos... http://labnol.blogspot.com/2007/08/download-flickr-photos-protected-by.html

joseph said...

Thanks Cheesebubble, however my method is better and faster. Did you read it?